Public Affairs in the Church is just growing like wildfire. Elder Perry is top man there. You just have to know that it is finally showing the Church in it's true light, to dispel the misconceptions and shine His light. We were told in Salt Lake, that every interview or phone conversation with an opinion leader, should contain the message, that "We follow Jesus Christ"! It may take a while, but we think the pendulum is swinging in the right direction.
It would inspire you to hear a Multi-Stake Public Affairs Counsel talk about their callings, the things they've just accomplished and the things on their to do lists. Most Stake Conferences here have many non-LDS opinion leaders (Parliament members, mayors and the like) invited and many of them come! Does that ever happen in the States? We don't know if it's as big there as it is out of country.
Every Stake is involved in trying to get the Church's name in the papers in happy ways. Which is what the newsroom website is for. A place reporters can go to see what we're up to as a religion. A lot of members read it as well, as we get remarks about it a lot. It's a happy way to serve a mission. Not the usual, but the scope of the Church's good works is always front and center for us and is very inspirational.
Putting words and pictures to it just fills us up spiritually like you can't imagine! These Stake people are finding people to give awards to who aren't members and then publicizing it. There will be a story on the website(http://www.mormonnewsroom.org.au/) today about a Stake who gave the Family Values Award to two mayors who are not members. You'll have to check it out. They had 900 people attend and the mayors two priests spoke on their behalf. So great! "Building Bridges". The Church has gotten so good at it in recent years. Positivity instead of lifting ourselves up and above. Don't you just know that's how The Savior spread the good word? It's awesome!
It is winter here, but it isn't bad at all. We have as many warm days as cold, almost. But when it rains and winds, it really has a bite to it. The birds sing, even then. It is a pleasant thing to hear.
I just need to talk about my companion for a minute, before there are transfers. We have really grown to like each other, love each other. I know there are many companionships in the mission that work really well, but ours is the best. There is a lot to be said for serving a mission as a married couple. My companion happens to lift me up very often, and I hope I sometimes do the same for him. When it just feels like we are stretched too far and I miss family and friends so much, I look at him, and feel better! A great deal of my home is right here with me and it is a blessing! He is so good to me and I am SO grateful. I know single, widowed, sisters serve missions, temple missions. But I don't think I could. Together we are strong, because he leads me a bit, and that's just great!
We love the e-mails and face-times from home, because, while we are OK alone, for now, we really do need you all in the biggest way. You make us so happy and fill us up continually. Thank you, and we love you.
So sorry to hear about the passing of Sister Christel Reames in our ward. A great gap will be left in the ward and neighborhood. The family is in our thoughts constantly right now. How sad. Thousands of miles doesn't lessen the feelings, it just intensifies them.
Love to everyone.
No comments:
Post a Comment